"A Short Film" - Day 5 of 5 and Wrap-up
We finished our last shoot day with a night shoot. Calltime was 6pm. The sequence took place on a hill in the back of the residence at Sheridan College. The scene was Chris' imagination as he ponders further what his next short film idea is going to be. We were the most short handed this day but I think we faired quite well. The weather luckily held up - it was windy at times but was warm compared to what it could have been at this time of year.
In one sequence, Chris is burying some of his old idea represented with tombstones that art dept made out of foam. The lighting was super simple. I lit the scene with a 1200 HMI as backlight with 1/2 CTO on it. A 4' 4bank Kino with tungsten tubes keyed the scene.
We then went to a birds-eye shot. In order to get the height and angle I rigged the camera to an Avenger 2K stand that has an angling boom option on the top risers. I used a baby pin with 3/8" male thread that fitted into the baseplate of the camera. That was rigged into a grip-head and safetied.
Chris wanted the light to brighten as the character Chris has a moment of revelation. I rigged a 1K red-head on a similar 2K stand boomed out, rigged to a dimmer with Full Blue. a 2' 2 bank Kino with Daylight tubes keyed the scene when the dimmer was down.
Not many photos:


Our 2 major setups respectfully.
------
Overall I had a really good experience making this film. The way we made the film is something I haven't done in a while. I'm used to having a little more guys, more gear, and more money on a per day basis which I didn't have any of on this job. I think this made the experience all the more more tactile and hands-on which was really nice. We had a great group of people and we did quite well. I'm happy with how the footage has turned out.
The shoot was also the longest consecutive shooting on one project I've ever done to date which was something new and a little bit of a test. I have to credit Chris for keeping his coverage tight so we could take the time to set things up properly. Thanks to all the various crew and collaborators we had over the 5 days. Will have my 35mm still shots processed soon and will post.
On to the next one!
In one sequence, Chris is burying some of his old idea represented with tombstones that art dept made out of foam. The lighting was super simple. I lit the scene with a 1200 HMI as backlight with 1/2 CTO on it. A 4' 4bank Kino with tungsten tubes keyed the scene.
We then went to a birds-eye shot. In order to get the height and angle I rigged the camera to an Avenger 2K stand that has an angling boom option on the top risers. I used a baby pin with 3/8" male thread that fitted into the baseplate of the camera. That was rigged into a grip-head and safetied.
Chris wanted the light to brighten as the character Chris has a moment of revelation. I rigged a 1K red-head on a similar 2K stand boomed out, rigged to a dimmer with Full Blue. a 2' 2 bank Kino with Daylight tubes keyed the scene when the dimmer was down.
Not many photos:


Our 2 major setups respectfully.
------
Overall I had a really good experience making this film. The way we made the film is something I haven't done in a while. I'm used to having a little more guys, more gear, and more money on a per day basis which I didn't have any of on this job. I think this made the experience all the more more tactile and hands-on which was really nice. We had a great group of people and we did quite well. I'm happy with how the footage has turned out.
The shoot was also the longest consecutive shooting on one project I've ever done to date which was something new and a little bit of a test. I have to credit Chris for keeping his coverage tight so we could take the time to set things up properly. Thanks to all the various crew and collaborators we had over the 5 days. Will have my 35mm still shots processed soon and will post.
On to the next one!


2 Comments:
Not only can Barry Cheong transform a pitch black location into a beautifully lit painting, he could do it without a single light or outlet.
Jon Garcia @ plywood cutouts.
Ha! That's a dangerous rumor to start....
Post a Comment
<< Home